It seems that when Christmas rolls around everyone starts scrambling to find the perfect Christmas gift. And to give everyone credit, we know they try their hardest, but we’ve all been on the receiving end of a horrendous present—good thing we’ve been practicing our “I love it!” face in the mirror since October.
But when push comes to shove everyone seems to accomplish in the present department. Your friends and family have heaps of wrapped boxes under the tree and are simply itching to gift them… and then there’s you. You don’t know when you realized there was a present giving curse on your household. Maybe it was when your mom sent you with a baby Jesus tree ornament to your elementary school Secret Santa, too bad the lucky recipient of your festive gift was Jewish. Perhaps it was when your dad bought your entire family books, which isn’t bad, except that they were all in Russian, much to his surprise. And worst of all, you realized this gift giving inability was hereditary when you gave your first girlfriend a ring for the holidays and she went running for the hills because she thought you were proposing.
We feel for you and your desperate plight to find the perfect Christmas gift and we’re here to tell you that not all hope is lost! Together let’s break this (self-imposed) curse and rid you of the stress of shopping for the perfect present by putting together a list of the top 10 Christmas gifts for all your friends and family.
Christmas Gifts for Your Mom:
Let’s start off easy here. Getting your mom a present, in theory, should be the simplest task of them all. We all know she’s going to love what you get her no matter what it is, especially if you ship it overnight because you couldn’t splurge on flights home.
There are a few directions you could go when finding the perfect present for your mother:
- The toddler level home-made gift sure to tug on her heartstrings: There’s no shame in stretching your art and crafts muscles as the holidays rolls around. A hand-made Christmas gift shows how much you appreciate all that your mother does, including sending you care packages across the country when you’re feeling a little homesick.
- The professionally monogrammed gift: Don’t all moms love candles? Don’t all moms love monogramed and personalized gifts? If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em with this simple personalized candle gift
- The spa package trip: This one seems pretty straight forward. Show your mom your love by letting her ditch the family for a few days of ultimate relaxation
Christmas Gifts for Your Dad
Let’s get into some trickier territory because as master of the dad joke arena your father may be a little pickier with the present you get him. But don’t you worry we’re going to get to the bottom of your gift giving ability one present at a time.
- If you thought your mom would get teary-eyed from a home-made present, think again because this hand-crafted present it a winner: Start with your father’s favorite beverage, preferably something that comes in a carton. It could be his favorite beer, lemonade, maybe even orange juice if that’s his fancy. Get some googley eyes, a pipe cleaner, a pom-pom and you’re good to go for the ultimate Christmas present
- The BBQ Trope: We’ll try not to stereotype your dad, but chances are he loves to grill. And if that’s the case we’ve got the perfect present for him. Whether he’s on a boys fishing trip, or a family road trip he’ll be able to procure this mini grill and save the day… just as long as he doesn’t forget to bring the steak.
- A book, and not because you’re trying to get back at him for that Russian book scam: You’ve got a few options when it comes to books. We thought this “Art of Fixing” was a sure-fire present, but we also suggest any brand of cookbook, fiction book, or even coloring book.
Christmas Gifts for Your Siblings
Now we’re getting into trickier territory. You may have a special place in your sibling’s heart, but that doesn’t mean giving them a present can’t be completely brutal! Now, we’ve devised a foolproof plan for the two ultimate gifts to get your siblings on Christmas:
- Food Glorious Food: What could go wrong when you procure your siblings’ favorite foods? Perhaps your bother is a die-hard hot sauce fan, or your sister has the most intense sweet tooth for some obscure Swiss chocolate. Whatever the case may be, you’ll hit it out of the part with a food Christmas present.
- A get out of jail free card: Sometimes it’s the thought the counts when picking the perfect present for your siblings and a simple present is usually best. We present the “get out of jail free card.” Simply give them an extremely suspicious envelope containing a single card that they may cash in at any time. You never know, it may lead to a hilarious story in a few years from now.
Christmas Gifts for Your Friends
This may be the most difficult category of the bunch because your friends won’t swoon over a hand-made jewelry box the way your mom will. Instead you’ve got to get creative with this one and we’re going to show you how.
- A box of things: Chances are the friends you have now are different than the ones you started with and even moreso that they hail from a variety of different cities, states, and maybe even countries. And if you’ve ever been away from home for an extended period of time you understand how bad home-sickness can get. Therefore, this present will be like a breath of fresh air for your homesick friends. Simply get together a box of all their favorite foods, pictures, and mementos that remind them of home and you have arguably the greatest present of all time.
- A subscription box: There’s nothing better than the gift that keeps on giving, so what about signing your friend up for a subscription box! There are multitudes of options for different genders, interests, and hobbies. Better yet, here is a list of 50 different subscription box options. (Ps. We’re not telling you to sign them up for a year. Just enough for them to get a taste of a subscription.